Re: Two Simple Questions

To: David Stevely <DStevely@webleicester.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Two Simple Questions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:52:15 -0700
David Stevely wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Couple of questions I hope you can help with.
>
> I have a 1966 Mk II Spitfire4
>
> 1. Does this car (standard, no pun intended) have syncro on first,
> because it certainly doesn't sound like it?

No.

> 2. I drove it round the block for the first time tonight (rebuilt from
> scratch) and after about 5 minutes the car stalled and wouldn't start, I
> waited a while and it then started.  Is this the symptoms of vapour lock
> I have heard so much about and if so what can I do?  I don't think a 5
> min max run time is really acceptable, even for an classic car with all
> it's quirks.

It could be vapor lock, but it might be a different fuel problem like
fuel pump, clogged line or other thing that would give the same
indication.

Be sure to check other possibilities (spark, etc) if the symptom shows
up again.  That will make troubleshooting easier if you are able to
eliminate certain things when the problem occurs.  It's those problems
that only happen on occasion that will drive you up the wall.

Good Luck,
Joe

> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Dave.