Re :Spit Seats WAS: Brown Color

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>,
Subject: Re :Spit Seats WAS: Brown Color
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:52:40 -0400
At 08:37 AM 8/21/98 -0400, Vic Whitmore wrote:

>On the seats: The later Spits had the hounds tooth centre strip. If you
replace
>it, you will find that you have to replace it again in a few years. It just
>doesn't stand up. I recommend that you go with an all-vinyl seat cover
kit. It
>looks great on mine and will out-last the cloth by a long shot.

Vic and others,

I had heard the same thing as above.  So when I re-built my seats, I used
the original biege vinyl (which was in good condition) and had the
houndstooth inserts replaced with a modern cloth.

The new cloth (sort of a mottled biege-gray-and-sand combo) matches well
and is a lot more durable (heavier) than the original '70s material.
Plus, grease stains blend right in! (Now THAT'S an important
consideration.)   :)    Feels cool after being in the hot sun, and a
treatment of Scotchguard (tm) water repellant keeps those pesky raindrops
from soaking in.

Best thing of all, the material was a remnant. The upholstery shop did the
job for 1/2 the cost of buying original-style houndstooth covers from the
Big Three Vendors.

Anyone that is redoing their seats should consider this route.

Frugally Yours,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA