Re: stuck mc piston

To: " (Richard Triplett)" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>,
Subject: Re: stuck mc piston
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:23:13 -0700
Richard,
Been there, done that!  I found that although it appears to be all the
way in, it seldom is.  After filling the back if it with penetrating oil
and leaving for at least 24 hours (longer if possible), take a rounded
tip punch and a hammer and give it a few swift whacks from the end.  The
piston is cupped, so it won't hurt it.  The piston doesn't have to go
very far to free itself.  And the plunger spring will try and force it
back out.  After it is initially freed, you can work it using more
penetrating oil and after removing it, a good hone job and new seals
should bring it back as good as new.

Good Luck,
Joe

(Richard Triplett) wrote:

> Well, I'm finale starting the rebuild of my '78 Spitfire, and have pulled
> the brake and clutch master cylinder.   I got the piston
> out of the clutch mc, but cannot free the brake which is pushed all the way
> in and frozen.  I tried 125psi air, which worked on the
> clutch mc, but no luck with the brake.  I soaked it in penetrating oil all
> weekend, but still stuck.  Any ideas?  I was thinking of hooking up a
> porta-power hydraulic pump, but maybe there's a more simple solution that
> I'm overlooking.  Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> Richard Triplett
> Technical Services
> Midland, Texas
> 915-683-2781