RE: Brakes - feel

To: "'James'" <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>,
Subject: RE: Brakes - feel
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:03:28 -0500
James,

The conventional wisdom is that you want to start at the wheel farthest from
the Brake MC (right rear on US models) and "bleed" your way to the "closest"
wheel (Left front... again here in the states).  You want to pull a lot of
fluid from the rears to make sure you got the job done.  Typically I allow a
full quart (roughly a liter) for the job.

Now onto some leading questions.

Did you have a vinyl tube on the bleeders so you could watch the bubbles
come out?

Did you use an Eezibleed (or similar) or did you employ a mate in the
drivers seat ("up", "hold", "down", "up" repeat 30-40 times)?  The real
advantage to the Eezibleed is that you can just open the bleeder and push a
lot of fluid through quickly without the reservoir draining.

Are the rear shoes properly adjusted?  Have you tried putting the parking
brake on and pumping the brakes?  If they feel firm then, the rear shoes
aren't adjusted out as far as they need it.

Jim