Re: oil pan gasket

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>,
Subject: Re: oil pan gasket
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:36:10 -0400
At 07:24 AM 8/25/98 +0000, James ranted:

>Death to all who use sealant, it is horible stuff.  Looking for dribbles
>of selant is the best way of telling if an engin has been bodged.
>Normaly selant is used so that bodger does not have to buy a new
>gasguet.  If you have ever stripped down an engin with it in you will
>know why I don't like it.  All thoes littel drips of seelant going
>inside you engin, mabe braking off and clogging up your oil ways.  It's
>also a pain to clean it off again when you come to re-assemble it.

No offence James, but sometimes a sealant is what the manufacturers used!
(Check out a new Lotus sometime.)   Can't use too much though.

I swear by the Permatex "Right Stuff" sealant for my Spit's valve cover
(rather than that quaint cork jobby).  It doesn't leak, yet comes off
easily when it is time to adjust the valves.

Technology Marches On.

Sincerely,

Atwell Haines
"The Artful Bodger"  :)