Re: Odd Triumph Seen

To: "Laura G." <savercool@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Odd Triumph Seen
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 07:33:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Laura G. wrote:

> ...I believe it was marketed under one name in Britain and
> under another over here and yes, it is an unusual sort of car. I wish I
> could remember everything the nice, elderly scot told me about his car-but,
> ...bet someone on the Triumph mailing list would know all about this model.

Well, ok. I do. ;-)

This was one version of the Standard 10, sold in the U.S. as a Triumph
10. This evolved from the Standard 8 of 1953. The OHV engine was
brand-new, as was gearbox and rear axle. Engine began as 803cc and was
enlarged for the "10" to 948cc. There were sedans, wagons, and even
"commercial" versions (pickups or "Utes").

In a way, the Herald is a direct descendant, as the first Herald used the
948 cc engine, along with the same gearbox and "center section" of the
rear axle. Of course, the Herald has swing axles, while the 10 had a live
axle. That engine continued to grow into 1147, 1296 and 1493 sizes in the
Herald, Spitfire, et.al., and it was also the basis for the six-cylinder
engines used in late Standards as well as the Vitesse, GT6 and TR250/5/6.

Check out <www.vtr.org> for a bit more detail under the "Models" section,
and follow the links also to the Standard Motor Club. Also, see the
latest issue of _Triumph World_.

Value is not all that high, but the cars are fun and cute.

--Andy