Re: 1500 Engine Advice

To: Growe58@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1500 Engine Advice
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:49:17 -0800
Greg,
If your car is smoking, it is likely caused by rings and this won't be
helped by replacing the bearings.  If it doesn't give any of the
tell-tale signs of worn bearings (low oil pressure, too much thrust play
or knocking) I'd leave well enough alone and save the money until you
can afford to do a "proper" overhaul.

Regards,
Joe Curry

P.S.  Have you registered the car in the Spitfire Database?
http://home1.gte.net/spitlist/index.html

Growe58@aol.com wrote:

> Hello to all.  Looking for any advice or tales of real world experience on the
> following:  (feel free to also question my sanity as appropriate).
>
> My 78 1500's engine suffered the dreaded thrust washer drop out last summer
> and was replaced with a 76 block which is well worn, but has managed to
> transport me and my clouds of oil smoke faithfully to date.  Time and finances
> do not presage the needed rebuild in the near future, but I would like to at
> least preserve this block from also suffering total functional destruction.
> To that end, I have purchased rod (big end!) and main bearings and new thrust
> washers.  I figure to ramp the car, drop the oil pan, and install them from
> underneath.  Cheap and easy.
>
> Is this likely to have the desired effects to increase longevity?  What are
> the potential pitfalls?  (My apologies to those that have already seen this
> thread on uk.rec.cars.classic, but at the time I was not aware of this FAR
> SUPERIOR mailing list).
>
> Thanks in advance.  This is a great group!
>
> -Greg
> 78 Spit -daily driver
> 72 Spit - someday will run again!

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer