1500 Engine Advice

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 Engine Advice
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:59:10 EST
Hello to all.  Looking for any advice or tales of real world experience on the
following:  (feel free to also question my sanity as appropriate).

My 78 1500's engine suffered the dreaded thrust washer drop out last summer
and was replaced with a 76 block which is well worn, but has managed to
transport me and my clouds of oil smoke faithfully to date.  Time and finances
do not presage the needed rebuild in the near future, but I would like to at
least preserve this block from also suffering total functional destruction.
To that end, I have purchased rod (big end!) and main bearings and new thrust
washers.  I figure to ramp the car, drop the oil pan, and install them from
underneath.  Cheap and easy.

Is this likely to have the desired effects to increase longevity?  What are
the potential pitfalls?  (My apologies to those that have already seen this
thread on uk.rec.cars.classic, but at the time I was not aware of this FAR
SUPERIOR mailing list).

Thanks in advance.  This is a great group!

-Greg
78 Spit -daily driver
72 Spit - someday will run again!