Re: Delay in oil pressure during first start of the day.

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delay in oil pressure during first start of the day.
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 19:43:05 -0500
Rick Gregory wrote:

> List members,
>
> Although I've only checked now a couple of times it looks like when I
> crank the engine for the first time of the day there is 3-5 second
> delay before my gauge reads oil pressure.
>
> It is like the oil is draining down overnight and it takes a few
> seconds for the oil system to pump up. Is this normal? Anything I can
> do to further protect my engine?
>
> Thanks,
> --Rick

Rick, I had this same problem.  The root cause was the oil filter.  My
oil filter lacked the necessary silicone check valve which prevents the
filter from draining.  Try replacing the filter with one with a check
valve.  You should be able to see it through the small holes which
surround the large center threaded hole in the filter.

--
Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI
70 Spitfire MkIII FDU89984L