Re: Junk mail (spam) no LBC [long spam info]

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Junk mail (spam) no LBC [long spam info]
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 15:23:57 -0800
Barry,
        I've never recieved spam via the spit or triumphs
list. I'm currently off the triumphs list, because I don't
have enough time to keep up with it. As far as I can tell
no one is 'harvesting' email adresses from the list.
(Thanks once again to MJB for mainting these lists!
Your beer and server check is on the way.) It would be
possible to harvest from the list archives, but that would
take some effort, and the whole point of spamming
is minimum effor for maximum exposure.
        If your email address is on any web pages, there is
a good chance that spammers are harvesting it. On solution is
to put something like bshwart@send-no-spam.pacbell.net
as your email addres when you publish it on a web page.
This makes it require human thought to make write your email
address, so automated harvesting software will not be
able to extract it. This does mean that you can't do
mailto: links. Another way you could do it is
write bwschwart at pacbell.net, instead of the @ symbol.
        As for filtering, it really depends on your mail
software. If you can find someone else using the same
mailer your are (Eudora, right ?) they might be able
to help. I use netscape here (company choice, not mine)
and it has only primitive filtering capabilities.
        If your feeling particularly mad, and have the
time, you can track down the spammer and have their
ISP cut their feed. This takes some knowledge of mail
headers, since the from and other lines are usually
forged. Some of the web sites below have details
of how to do this.
        Heres some of my favorite spam resources:
http://www.abuse.net
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/faq.html

        If the spammer has an 800 number, you can call
them and let them know how much you enjoyed their mail.
I suggest a slow southern drawl and lots of pauses ;-)
Of course, repeated calling or rude and vulger language
could constitute harasment etc.

        If a spam lists an address to write to for removal,
replying to it will almost certainly get you added
to more spam lists.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com