Replacing valve springs

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing valve springs
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:25:09 -0500
Hey everone,

I think that I've got the annoying miss in my '79 narrowed down to a weak
valve spring.  I've done the test where you hold a dollar bill over the
tail pipe and it snaps up against the pipe.  I had a valve job done about
300 miles ago but unfortunately didn't replace the springs.  The
compression is good on all cylinders so I don't believe that I have a
burned exhaust valve, I also tried increasing the clearance on the rockers
with no benefit.  I have been told that you can replace the springs without
removing the head provided that you use an air compressor to keep the
valves seated while you remove the keepers and springs.  Is there a valve
spring tool that will allow you to compress the springs while the head is
on the block? Has anyone ever tried this?  Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks as always,
Glenn