Re: Front Coil Springs

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2),
Subject: Re: Front Coil Springs
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:24:45 -0500
Patrick,
The springs were lengthened in'71 to raise the HEADLIGHTS to US Federal specs.

Don't measure the flattened end coils, they don't contribute to spring
rate.

I have re-measured my stock 79's coils both ways (off the car):   12.6
inches without the end coils; 13.3 with the ends included.  (wow, same as
yours)

At 01:34 PM 2/9/99, Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 wrote:
>OK, I know this question has been asked before.  I removed one of the
>springs from my '76 Spit and when installed it measured approx 8 and 1/4
>inch tall,  not that it is off it measures 13 and 1/4 inch.  If I remember
>correctly from the last conversation each of these numbers is about 1 inch
>too tall.  Does this make since, or as someone once suggested is this to
>raise the front bumber of the spit to meet Federal standards?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA