Re: Front end alignment

To: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@home.com>, "John Weber" <weberjm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Front end alignment
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:57:31 -0000
Sounds like someone has added shims to improve handeling,  you will need to
remove them.  They are added to the lower wishbone pivots, just where they
bolt onto the chassis.  The Spitfire was supplyed with the bottom of the
front wheels tucked in and the rear wheels out, to maximise understeer so
that the hairdresser didn't get into trouble in corners.  People then got
more of these shims and put the front to about 0 deg to make the cornering
better, much more than 0 and I would imagin that steering becomes a bit
twitchy.

My car has normal camber but if you shouted boo it would jump over the other
side of the road.

Anyway the factory cambers are 2 deg positive front +- 1/2, and rear 3 3/4
deg negative.

Don't know howmany shims you need, I would imagin to add two degrees all
round you would use 8 shims.   2x4 shims.

So if you have negative camber at the front and you want positive, remove
some shims.