Re: Front end alignment

To: James Carpenter <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Subject: Re: Front end alignment
From: John Weber <weberjm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:28:13 -0800
James,
My front end has the top of the front tires at least 1 inch further out
from the bottom of the tire.  I see no shims anywhere in the front setup
(but then, I've worn glasses since age 8...)
It looks bilateral.  You mention 2 degrees positive which matches my
book...my current setup has to be at least 5...the entire outside tread
bar is gonzo, the inside tread bar barely looks worn.
Because it's bilateral, and because the previous owner had spring
compressors on the front coils, I worried about unseen damage.
I'll get all the bushes and such changed on the entire car before I
worry about the actual steering geometry...as I doubt that I want the
twitch that I discovered when I drove  it back from the purchase
site...I got into the freeway ruts south of Olympia (I-5) made by
studded snow tires and dang near stuffed it into the median.  Not a fun
experience.

John