Re: front end camber notes from a Vintage racer (street use

To: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>,
Subject: Re: front end camber notes from a Vintage racer (street use
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:03:33 -0500
At 10:11 AM 2/11/99 -0600, Dave Terrick wrote:
.

>Consider the weight of the car with and without passengers.  2 up will
>definitely settle the car and cause scraping (Atwell) and camber change
>(all).

Dave and anyone else:

Will ALL Spits scrape the road when the suspension is fully compressed?  I
think maybe so, since both sets of front coils that I have (stock '79 and
'70 replacements) have ten coils and no other visible jounce stops.

> ANY prep manual will advise you to test the settings under "normal
>load" ie with passenger and/or luggage.

Good advice.   When I had my Spit aligned last year I had the settings
verified with a driver in the car (me) since that is the condition under
which most of the driving is done.

><snip>

>A further note.  I am using spitfire comp springs from VB on my GT6 and they
>are fantastic, albeit 3/4" too low for my application.  My fix will be a
>3/4" spacer, the spring rates @ 330 are the same.

The mounting studs on the upper spring seats allow a 1/2" spacer to be
installed and still utilize the Nyloc nuts.  Are you going to replace the
studs with longer ones? Or install the spacers directly between the springs
and seats?

I have just finished fabricating and installing 1/2" wooden spring spacers,
and I can report that they did provide almost  zero camber at the front
wheels.  I intend to drive the car like that for a few miles to evaluate
the tendency to scrape the road.

Atwell Haines