thrust washer

To: spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: thrust washer
From: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:22:53 -0800
I am currently rebuilding my 1500 engine. Over winter break I took
everything off except the crankshaft. I measured the end float at .010".
My question is how do I get this back to where it should be. I am
looking in the VB catalog and they sell thrust washer sets and .005"
thrust washer sets. My manual says the endfloat should be between .004
and .008 . So, one of those .005 sets should be just what I need, right?
That is probably a stupid question, but this is my first rebuild and I
haven't seen the part yet (at college). I am hoping to put the engine
back together over spring break and need to order parts now.
I am building the engine up for higher performance street driving and
autox. Does anyone have any experience with Kent cams, Ashford
Performance, or Isky cams. Good, bad? Any other ideas? How about head
work, anything I should have done? As of now I am planning on making it
a no lead head. How about compression. Is it better to get 9:1 pistons,
shave the head,or do both. I plan on dual weber DCOE and a free flowing
exhaust in the future.

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer
Chris Pappathopoulos