Re: Brakes not working well.

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes not working well.
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:09:17 -0500
At 12:04 PM 2/19/99 -0800, Rick Gregory wrote:
>Okay now that I've got my '77 1500 running well, time to turn some
>attention to some of the other systems in need of repair...

Your map light works good, huh?   :-)

>mainly... the brakes. They are not working well. I have to mash down
>the pedal pretty hard to bring my spit to a stop.

Pedal effort is high with non-power disc brakes.

>I took some time last weekend and thoroughly bled each wheel. In the
>process, I replaced the old fluid with all new stuff. I did not notice
>any air in the lines, and there was no increase in braking performance.
>
>Where should I start looking? Master cylinder? Compensator? Calipers
>sticking?

Why not pull the back drums off, check for cylinder leaks, clean & lube the
adjusters, and reassemble?  That way the back is doing its share.

If your rubber lines are originial, that would give you a soft pedal (can
you spell b-a-l-l-o-o-n?).

Are the rotors smooth and straight?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO