Recovering Seats

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recovering Seats
From: Kevin Besig <kbesig@borg.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:21:23 -0500
OK, here's a subject that I think many of you have dealt with.  I am
recovering my passenger side seat frame which I bought uncovered.  I
finished the back with pretty good results, but the seat portion is
giving me problems.

In a nutshell, there doesn't seem to be enough material available (on
the side facing the door) to stretch around the foam to attach to the
basket with the hog rings.  If I attach to the first rail of the basket,
the rings are visable from the side, which looks like crap.  It seems
that the material should attach to the second rail, but it just doesn't
want to stretch that far. I really force it, I can get the edge of the
material to the second rail and get a ring around it, but it starts to
rip where the ring pierces the material when I release it.

The center area of the seat is glued down as the directions called for.
I measure 5 1/2 inches of fabric down from from the seam on the top edge
of the seat.  It seems like they could spare another inch of vinyl for
$250.00!  Does anybody understand what I'm talking about? If so, has
anybody had similar trouble with this?

Kevin Besig