Re: dash top

To: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: dash top
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:26:41 -0500 ()
On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, nikolai jaremka wrote:

> ok, last night i removed the dash top panel and found that riumph
> really did a cost saving cut here.  the main frame of the dash top
> panel is pressed steel with no protection on it at all, just bare
> metal!  and since it was installed like that, it is now almost all
> rust and no steel.  so, does anyone have or know where i can get one
> of these?  it will probably have to be second hand, but it really
> doesn't matter as long as it's in good shape.

All I can say is that I've never experienced this in the many Spitfires
I've had the sad duty to, er, "decommission" over the years. The bodies
were completely painted before trimming of any kind took place, but it's
possible that paint coverage in areas later to be covered wasn't always
the best. Of course it's possible that the adhesive used originally
reacted with the paint or perhaps the paint wasn't fully cured, or ??? Or
could a leaky windshield gasket have caused water to get in?

Anyway, you're welcome to come up to upstate New York and cut yourself a
dash off one of my hulks! :-)

--Andy