Re: vendors

To: "Bob Norway" <examiner@scci.net>, "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: vendors
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:39:55 -0500
Here is one possibility...We all know that when ordering from
manufacturers, a large order is necessary to either get the part made, or
to get a lower cost price. Sometimes the volume necessary is consistent
with demand. When it is not, some retailers will make the large purchase
and warehouse the item. When I started my Spit restoration, it seemed the
only place I could get many of the items was from VB. Among the many items
needed were the 'L'- shaped rubber seals that hang down from the front
wheel wells when the bonnet is raised and also the rubber gaiters for the
steering rack. These items rotted, cracked, and split in less than one year
on the car despite the fact that it was in dry storage for a good part of
the time...all winter. The replacement pieces from TRF have been just fine.
My guess, VB may well have had the pieces on the shelf for a considerable
lengthy period of time. However, I am just glad the parts are being made
available through the efforts of these folks. Back when my 62 TR4 was still
my everyday driver ('cause it was my only car), I couldn't get any of the
basic parts from the British Leyland dealerships! Just my .03 (.02 US x
echange on Cdn$).
Keith Stewart