Re: Do you carry a fire extinguisher

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, rmideke@interbase.com
Subject: Re: Do you carry a fire extinguisher
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 17:28:56 EST
In a message dated 99-03-05 15:07:26 EST, amace@unix2.nysed.gov writes:

<< >    A large plume of gray smoke was pouring out of the hood....

 Wow. Deja vu all over again. :-)

 I had a similar experience with my GT6+ back around 1976. I was on my way
 to work, going through a city, when the cockpit began to fill with really
 awful smoke and even traces of flame. To make a long story short, >>

Okay, here's my flaming Triumph story:

It happened right after I bought my current TR6 back in the early 80s.
Driving it home from the DPO's house, a friend driving my other car
pulled along side and screamed "your rear end's on fire !"  - I wish we
hadn't been on an overpass at the time. Seemed like it took forever to
get the rolling carbeque pulled over. To make the proverbial long story
short, the DPO had wedged a piece of 2 x 4 above what remained of
the cars original muffler - probably to stop the thing from rattling - and
about 20 miles down I-55 said 2 x 4 had finally ignited  in spectacular
fashion. I was able to get the auto flambee extinguished and charred
2x4 extracted without much trouble because I have carried a fire
extinguisher ever since the day back in the 70s when on my first TR6
I found gasoline dripping onto a hot exhaust manifold from a leak