Re: Spring Compressors

To: "Jack Levy" <jack@cocoinc.com>, "Spitfire list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spring Compressors
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 07:51:15 -0000
I guess a single compressor won't work?

In a word NO!  As I believe you have found, are you normaly this lucky?  I
was unable to find one of these type compresser which fitted intween the
spring coils.

Anyway, I don't use the clampon spring compressers.  I have the one which
the TSSC sells, but I got it direct from the company that makes it.

It's two plates, one with two bolts welded into it, the other with holes in
the same place.

There are large holes in the middle of these plates, with a larger lip
arround them.   The holes are large enough to allow the top three bolts to
go through or the end of the shock.  The lips arround these holes are large
enough to go round the spring and keep it in position.

There are then two 24" or longer big 9/16 bolts which clamp the two halvs
together.  The plates can then be put into a vice, and the spring aimed in a
safe direction.  I did this outside, with it pointing into a hedge.  Then
you get on the safer clamped side and tighten the long bolts.  This side
should also have the three captured UNF bolts.  Once the tension is off you
can then loosen the top bolt, it should NOT have any tension on it, if it
has then do it back up before you launch the spring into orbit.  Then start
undoing the large clamping bolts, one turn or so each time.  Keep the plates
level no more than 10deg out.

This is the safest method I have found.   The clap on compresser are more
for McPherson strut style suspension, and are not safe on the very tight
Spitfire springs.

May put this on my website.