Re: Spring Compressors

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring Compressors
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 08:44:12 -0700 (MST)
I use some old TR 6 parts.  I clamp a trashed out TR wire wheel adapter into
my big vise at the spline area, leaving the end with the flange facing up.
I set the bottom of the shock and spring assembly into the adapter.  The shock
fits nicely into the adapter.

I take a decent ( you do NOT want a cracked one here) TR brake drum and put
it over the top of the spring plate.  The center bore of the brake drum fits
nicely over the spring plate, providing sufficient clamping area and access
to the top shock nuts.  Then I put a few hefty threaded rods and nuts through
the lug nut holes in the drum and wire wheel adapter.  Snug them up, undo the
top shock nuts, then start backing off the nuts on the threaded rod.  Make sure
you use plenty of rod, the Spit and GT springs will expand quite a bit, on the
order of 6 to 8 inches.  Assembly is reverse of removal.

mjb.