Leaking Top

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking Top
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:18:10 -0800 (PST)
Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone (or soon to be):

Some of you may be aware Central Florida (where I live) has been
experiencing drought-like conditions for the past several months. This
is also the time period I've been driving my newly-rebuilt '77 Spit.
Today marked the first real storm of the year foreshadowing the up and
coming rainy season. And I do mean rainy, we get lots of heavy
thunderstorms around here almost daily during the late spring/summer
when the southern heat/humidity builds. Today also brought about an
education in what a leaking top can be like...

I was driving home from a friend's house when I ran into a downpour. I
had my top up and tightly secured and I've fully tested the wipers so
I expected no problems... Ha! I was rather surprised when my
windshield transformed into a waterfall within seconds. This is really
surprising to me because the top on my Spit is only about 2 years old
and is in very good condition.

When I got home (UNDER THE CARPORT!!!) I popped up the top and looked
at the front. There is strip of rubber that runs the length of the
front that looks like it should seal. Obviousily it isn't doing the
job. It does look crushed somewhat.

Are there any tricks for preventing this leakage? A new seal? (or
should I just wear a wet suit and scuba gear?)

--Rick