Re: Leaking Top

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking Top
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:19:37 -0500

Rick Gregory wrote:

> Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone (or soon to be):
>
> Some of you may be aware Central Florida (where I live) has been
> experiencing drought-like conditions for the past several months. This
> is also the time period I've been driving my newly-rebuilt '77 Spit.
> Today marked the first real storm of the year foreshadowing the up and
> coming rainy season. And I do mean rainy, we get lots of heavy
> thunderstorms around here almost daily during the late spring/summer
> when the southern heat/humidity builds. Today also brought about an
> education in what a leaking top can be like...
>
> I was driving home from a friend's house when I ran into a downpour. I
> had my top up and tightly secured and I've fully tested the wipers so
> I expected no problems... Ha! I was rather surprised when my
> windshield transformed into a waterfall within seconds. This is really
> surprising to me because the top on my Spit is only about 2 years old
> and is in very good condition.
>
> When I got home (UNDER THE CARPORT!!!) I popped up the top and looked
> at the front. There is strip of rubber that runs the length of the
> front that looks like it should seal. Obviousily it isn't doing the
> job. It does look crushed somewhat.
>
> Are there any tricks for preventing this leakage? A new seal? (or
> should I just wear a wet suit and scuba gear?)
>
> --Rick

Rick,

Welcome to the wonderful, wet world of Spits in Florida...lol. Seriously,
the problem is the chrome cap on your windshield. The water is coming in
between it and the top of the windshield. I ran a small bead of sealant
(after I got tired of running a strip of duct tape) along that joint and
it helped alot. Part of the problem are the holes in the top piece for
both the latches and the bolts for the hardtop. When the pressure is great
enough (ie. rained being driven into the seal because of forward car speed
and wind effects) water will seep in to those holes and drip on you from
there, too.

BTW, Joe Curry, this could be a TIP for your web site, eh?

Cheers

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.seacoast.com/~jsweet/brotherh/index.html
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249