Re: BFS needed....

To: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BFS needed....
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:15:42 -0000
The socket I got was 1/2" drive, single hex(not bi).  I have taken two nuts
of two different engins.  First time, was with the engin out the car, and 6
foot fence posts stuck in the crank case, I then used 2 foot stilsons, and a
5 foot scafolding tube to get enough leaverage.

The second time I got the nut with the engin on my car by filling the
cylinders with liquid, then putting the sparkplugs back in.  This saves
metal on metal contact.  I then used an 1 foot knuckle bar, with an old pair
of bicycle forks to leaver the thing off.

Second time was so much easer, the thing that made it so was the bicycle
forks, because you can place one hand on each prong, and you can control
where the pressure goes.

You will find that with the socket it will try and come off at an angle.
This is bad, and why I resourted to stilsons the first time(I did have the
socket then), the stilsons apply the pressure in line with the nut where as
the socket applys it an inch from the nut and so causes twising.

Filling the cylinders helps, because you don't put any stress on the drive
train, and you don't risk damageing the flywheel.  I used water, it should
not matter if you do, because you will probebely have the block in a bath of
soap to eat all the old oil stains away.