Re: Door handles/locks

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door handles/locks
From: "Dianne & Ree G." <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:45:27 -0600
Eric, et al,

I've been playing with my door latches/locks for a few weeks off and on
(mostly "off" due to our crummy Mid-Atlantic weather lately).  One "remote"
(inside) lock still is not 100%, and I'm about to give up as I'm anxious to
get my re-done door panels installed.  Granted, I'm not a purist, but my
experience suggests that you're not the only one being challenged (if that's
any consolation).

When installing the exterior door handle mechanism, there is a small
tab/nob/flange at the rear of the casting which should go inside the
sheet-metal.  Make sure that this tab is in fact caught behind (inside) the
sheet-metal & keep a little rearward pressure to hold it in place whilst (I
love that word!) installing the bracket and tightening the screws.
Unfortunately, it takes about four hands to complete the whole maneuver -
maybe 3 if you're real good.

Ree Gurley in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O