RE: Door handles/locks

To: "'Bob Norway'" <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: RE: Door handles/locks
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:19:09 -0000
This is true - in fact, there's no need to slash the soft top to get in,
because you can undo the poppers at the back and reach the handle
(except with my locks, which can't be unlocked from inside if they were
locked from outside!!) although I suspect this is known to Spitfire
owners who lock their keys in their car, rather than by the average car
stereo thief.

I would have thought that locking doors would be a good initial
deterent, though - especially against the kind of thief who wanders down
the street nonchalantly checking car doors, and when he finds one
unlocked, "borrows" the stereo.  (No, I don't have a stereo worth
"borrowing", but I know from previous cars that this doesn't actually
make much difference!)  Plus, locking the doors will help if you happen
to have a hard top fitted (just taken mine off for the summer - ok, so
it's not summer yet, but Tuesday was definitely warm enough for my first
bit of top-down driving.  Wow!  I can't wait till it's properly summer!)

Dean