Ballast resistors

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Ballast resistors
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:07:05 -0500
Hi,

I recently installed a new hi-po coil from Jacobs electronics on my '79
Spit, to limit the current flow I had to use an external ballast resistor
(about 2 ohms).  Currently I have the resistor installed between the hot
(ignition wire) and the coil.  This allows  approximately a 6 volt drop
across the resistor resulting in about 7.5 volts at the coil.  What I was
wondering is , would it be better to put the resistor between the negative
pole of the coil and the distributor, or in this case my Allison ignition
module.  This would allow 13.5 volts at the coil while still keeping the
current to to about 3 amps.  I believe that this would give a faster
voltage rise and thereby increase the duration of the spark at the plug as
well as allowing the plug gap to be increased.

Any thoughts?

Glenn Trunnell
'79 Spitfire