Re: FW: Mustang...Spitfire???

To: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Subject: Re: FW: Mustang...Spitfire???
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:12:52 -0800
Dean,

The early (Mk 1-3) 3-rail gearboxes with non-synchro first had a
different ratio set, but the MkIV 3-rail shares the same ratio set with
the single rail gearbox.  They are as follows:

        Mk1-3       MkIV-1500

4th     1.00           1.00
3rd     1.454          1.394
2nd     2.460          2.158
1st     4.27           3.504
R       4.27           3.988

Regards,
Joe

(Data from Graham Robson)

Dean Dashwood wrote:

> I was under the impression (and I could be completely wrong here) that
> the ratios on the 3-rail gearbox supplied up to the Mk 4 were different
> to the single-rail supplied with the 1500, and that there was a much
> bigger difference between 3OD and 4 on the single rail.  Certainly on my
> 1500 (which I presume has a single-rail gearbox, although I haven't
> (yet) had to take it apart to find out) I can definitely tell the
> difference between 3od and 4.
>
> (Ok, I'm sorry, this thread should probably be dead by now, but I've
> been away for a while, I'm trying to catch up, and I thought this
> sounded kinda interesting.....)
>
> Dean

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer