Re: Looking for input on Distributer Upgrade

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for input on Distributer Upgrade
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:20:52 -0500
At 08:14 PM 3/27/99 -0800, Rick Gregory wrote:

>I'm thinking about upgrading my Lucas contact-points
>vacuum-advance style distributer for increased
>performance and reliability.

Definitely go with an Electronic Ignition system.

>I was wondering if any of you have experience with
>these? Recommendations? Warnings?

I've been happy with my Crane X700 system. It was easy to hook up. Listers
have reported that they are long-term reliable.

Seems a better option to me than a points-type ignition, especially a
dual-point unit. I would only consider the Mallory if you are building a
racer or autocrosser.

Another brand of electronic ignition is the Pertronix. This unit fits
entirely inside the distributor if you are concerned about retaining a
stock engine bay appearance.

And don't buy from the 'big three' on this one... the Crane and Pertronix
ignitions are available from JC Whitney for 30% less than VB.  I think
there was a report here recently that the Crane can be had direct from the
mfr. for even less.

And again, for the street I would recommend staying with a vacuum advance
distributor.  If mechanical was all you needed the car manufacturers would
not be wasting money on those advance/retard units!

As for the coil, if yours is an original stock unit, you may want to
replace it just on principle. I did.  Used the standard Crane coil, and it
works fine.

My .02,

Atwell Haines
79 Spitfire

"Advice is a form of nostalgia.  Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past
from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and
recycling it for more than it's worth."