List postings suggestion

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: List postings suggestion
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:41:34 -0500

Hello all,

After having been on this e-mail list for some time, I have noticed
something about the posts I receive and I would like to offer a suggestion
to make the list more useful to everyone.

I read many interesting questions about various problems that owners are
having, but I never see more than one or two replies. The reason for this,
I believe, is that the responses are sent privately to the person who asked
for the information. I have found this to be the case both when I post
questions and when a friend of mine recently asked for some input and got
several useful replies which were send directly to him only.

The problem with this is that most readers, whose Spitfires do not
necessarily have the ailment mentioned but would like to read what people
have to say about it, completely miss out on the exchange of information.

I would like to suggest that whenever a list member has some information
for a person who posted a question that they post publicly as well as send
the message directly to the person who asked for help. That way we can all
benefit from your expertise.

I believe this is completely in line with the mission of this list, and I
would not mind at all receiving a few more messages a day that are
substantive and useful in content.

I welcome input on this suggestion -- and for goodness sakes, post your
opinions to the list! :)

Thanks for reading,
Eric.

P.S. On a related note, I would also like to suggest that chatty one-liner
messages be sent privately and not posted publicly.

-----
Eric Yates
eyates@enteract.com
1978 Spitfire 1500 FM 71614 U