Re: Camber compensator for Spitfire

To: tedtsimx@q1.net
Subject: Re: Camber compensator for Spitfire
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 18:32:56 -0700

Ted Schumacher wrote:

> joe, why a compesator when the factory comp department got rid of it in
> 1971.  use the rocker spring that has been dearched along with 5' or 5
> 1/2" wheels and you will generate mor cornering force than the
> compesator generated. in fact, if you read the road teast of the swing
> spring car - new body style- they speak about the great increase in
> cornering forces over the earlier car.  great idea but you are right
> about reinventing the wheel.  we make springs and sway bars and will be
> happy to quote you a price if you want to proceed. ted

Ted,
I have a Swing spring assembly on my Mk1 but it seems to me that Triumph
traded off body roll in an effort to eliminate wheel tuck.  I intend to
try the camber compensator on the swing spring assembly to see what
effect that has on roll stiffness and handling.  True, Triumph
redesigned the suspension, bur never did install a camber compensator
form the factory.  I don't understand why, but I bet the cost of the
swing-spring was less than the additional cost of the camber compensator
added to the fixed road spring.

Anyway, I want to do the project anyway just to see what improvements
are encountered.  But I'll keep your offer in mind if I am not satisfied
with the results.

Regards,
Joe
> --
> Ted Schumacher
> TS Imported Automotive
> 404 Basinger Rd.
> Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
> Ph. 800/543-6648  USA/Canada  FAX 419/384-3272 24 hour
> Ph. 419/384-3022 - tech./general information
> Web page http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
> New-Used-Rebuilt-NOS-Performance British car parts.
> 200 - 300 parts cars in our British-only salvage yard.

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer