Brake Pedal+Diff Leak

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Pedal+Diff Leak
From: Mark Gardner <mrgrdnr@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 18:22:45 -0700
Hi all - After having been away from LBCs for about 25 years, I just
bought a 79 Spitfire that's inpretty fair shape.  I'm having a lot of
fun driving it around, but I'm also going through it litlle by little.
There are a few problems I need to attend to.  The brake pedal is pretty
low.  It's not actually on the floor under full braking, but too close
for comfort.  Pumping the brakes doesn't bring it up.  I checked the
adjustment on the rear shoes, and they're OK.  The reservoir is full.
Anybody have any other suggestions?  I can live with the (relatively)
higher effort, but the long travel makes me nervous.

Also, the differential appears to be leaking at one of the output
shafts.  It appears from the Hayens manual that I can change the seal
with the diff still in the car.  I'm a competent mechanic, but I don't
want to tear into the diff.  Can I make this seal replacement in a few
hours?

Thanks in advance

Mark Gardner