Re: Brake Pedal+Diff Leak

To: Mark Gardner <mrgrdnr@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Pedal+Diff Leak
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 00:23:40 -0400
Mark,

Congrats on your purchase.

Yes, you can replace the diff inner axle seal without removing the diff
from the car. You'll have to detach the outer axle (frame securely on
stabds!!!), then just pivot it out of the way. The inner axle is held in
place with 4 allen-head screws. After you've removed them you might need
to do a little convincing with a hammer, to get it started.

Did I mention that whatever oil is left in there is going to gush out as
soon as it starts to move?

Once it's out you'll have to remove the bearing from the shaft before
you can get the seal off, so you might as well replace it, too. A few
hours is reasonable for the entire job. This isn't really "tearing into
the diff" - you won't be touching the parts of the diff that need
careful setup.

WRT the brakes, I'd bleed the whole system on any used car I just
bought, especially if there's any kind of brake problem. Run enough
fluid through to make sure all the old stuff is pushed out. Don't mix
DOT3 or 4 with silicone fluid!

If the pedal is still low after bleeding, there are only two
possibilities I can think of - either the rear shoes need further
tightening, or there's a lot of slop in the linkage between the pedal
and the MC.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald, '68 TR250