Re: Horn Question

To: Mike Perry <mikep@michindust.com>
Subject: Re: Horn Question
From: William Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:10:36 +0100
Mike,
        Usually, one of the horns will be a "High", the other a "Low", but some
markets were fitted with a "High" on one side, and a "High High" on the
other, which results in a very squeaky horn tone! Somewhere on the body
of the horn you will find the letters signifying which tone it is,
actually cast into the metal, ie, H, L or HH etc. You will probabbly
have to clean up the horn to read this, but it should be a reasonably
prominent marking.
        Hope this is of some help,
                Regards,
                        Bill.

PS
  You can rebuild the horns by drilling out the rivets around the
circumference, dismantling, and cleaning away all corrosion. Re-assemble
with new gaskets (make sure they are cut from thick enough paper - thin
ones will not allow enough clearance for the plat to vibrate) and
replace the rivets with small screws and nuts.

Mike Perry wrote:

> OK, I've got two horns (which seems to be standard), and only the first is
> working.  No problem here...if I can't replace a horn, I probably shouldn't
> own the car.  My question is, since I've never heard the system working
> properly, is there a tonal difference in the two?  Do I need to properly
> identify which horn I am replacing in order to rectify this?  Curiosity as
> much as anything else....and deciding where to place this on my to-do
> list....somewhere behind "leaks at every conceivable point!
>
> Mike
> 72 Spitfire...great shape if you discount the fact that it leaks more than
> my four month old daughter!

                            This Message sent by:
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup