Re: Horn Question

To: mikep@michindust.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Horn Question
From: "Sue Hunneybell" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 06:41:34 PDT
>From: "Mike Perry" <mikep@michindust.com>
>To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Horn Question
>Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:16:14 -0400
>
>OK, I've got two horns (which seems to be standard), and only the first is
>working.  No problem here...if I can't replace a horn, I probably shouldn't
>own the car.  My question is, since I've never heard the system working
>properly, is there a tonal difference in the two?  Do I need to properly
>identify which horn I am replacing in order to rectify this?  Curiosity as
>much as anything else....and deciding where to place this on my to-do
>list....somewhere behind "leaks at every conceivable point!
>

>Mike
>72 Spitfire...great shape if you discount the fact that it leaks more than
>my four month old daughter!

I have a similar problem and I've been told that somewhere (I believe just
inside the bell) there should be H or L (high or low). I have to own up to
not checking mine yet so I guess I'd better go and do that now. I recently
discovered on a friends Spit just how different the tones can be on various
horns so I'm planning to replace mine with a matched pair rather than hope
that I pick up a single that complements rather than clashes with the one I
have.