RE: Cylinder head interchangeability

To: SPITFIRES <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cylinder head interchangeability
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:22:49 -0700 (PDT)

high compression pistons are relief cut in v-8 engines, and
maybe also in your jag which has dual cams.  both of these
engines have thier valves at an angle to the piston travel.  in
the spit, the valves travel parallel to the piston travel, so no
relief is needed in the piston.  i aslo believe that if you are
getting valve float at high rpm's, you need to consider getting
you valve springs checked.  spitfire springs should be good up
to the 8000rpm level without float or modifications.  as far as
the exhaust valves, the profiles should be almost identicel as
the intake except for the phase in relation to the crank (ie:
shifted 180°).  i hope this makes sense, because i've even read
through my competition manual many times as well as my workshop
manual and none of them say anything about worrying about valve
interferance.