Re: clutch bleeding on 1500

To: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Subject: Re: clutch bleeding on 1500
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:33:03 -0500 ()
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, alemen@pop.ftconnect.com wrote:

> Has anyone done this without removing the cover etc. as the book says. I
> was simply going to do this while the car was on the axle stands.  From
> under the car I can see the slave cylinder and the bleed nipple. But it
> is not very accessable. I was simply wanting to drain and renew the
> fluid as I don't know the age of the fluid or type (probably DOT3).

Yes. It's not easy and it's not a neat job (odds are you WILL get some
sort of grime all over your hand and arm or shirt). But from underneath
I've been able to reach up with a relatively short 7/16" box or flare
wrench and loosen the bleeder screw and even fit a hose for drainage and
damage control. Of course, this means that your car is safely up on
jackstands, or a ramp, or a lift, or over (heaven forbid) a pit!

It's much, much easier from the interior with the gearbox cover off, but
that involves a lot of labor, especially on a stock 1500 (less so on Mk.3
and earlier Spitfires, and relatively little on Heralds).

--Andy