More Power (was truck motor)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: More Power (was truck motor)
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:38:53 -0500
I have to agree with the Arthur.
Every once in a while, I get a bug up my butt about the slow acceleration
of the stock Spitfire.

But whenever I start to look at the logistics of a major engine modification,
and the accompanying bills, I quickly re-think my thought process.

Try to think happy thoughts. All of the good things the Spitfire has to offer
in stock mode...
----------------------
It looks like it's fast even when you're still (or when everyone is passing
you).

Tell people "I'm coddeling the engine until the Sebring race this summer".

Puting down other people's vehicles always makes me feel better...
    Excerpt from 1997 Edmunds.com; 'General Motors calls the Metro "the small
    car with big ideas." Big dreams, more likely. What we have here is
    transportation in its most basic form. What else is even in this price
    range? The Hyundai Accent is, and it offers consumers more for the money.
    True, contrast, the Metro comes across as an underdeveloped tin can.
    Even Ford's underwhelming Aspire seems to be a better, though uglier,
buy.
    We'd also investigate the Kia Sephia, which feels more substantial than
    the Geo and is based on proven Mazda componentry.'

It's a convertible!

Find another car that goes around a hair pin turn (and stays in control)
doing 40mph and costs under $10k.

With some minor tweaking and engine modifications, a little bit of luck and a
tail wind, you MIGHT be able to beat the 0-60 time of the 2000 model
$10,000 Chevy Metro LSi Sedan (79hp, 75 lb.ft torque, 12.5 secs 0-60).

Maybe next year I'll invest in that mild sport cam, 9.0:1 compression pistons,
dual valve springs, rocker roller bar, weber 45 DCOE...etc. etc..