Outfitting new garage / shop - looking for ideas

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Outfitting new garage / shop - looking for ideas
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:42:06 -0500
Hey gang,

My Grandfather and I have just finished having a garage / workshop built -
we went in halves on it. Roughly five (smallish) car capacity, heated, air
conditioned, hot and cold running water. I am going to put in a little
shower stall to keep the Grandmother happy too. Now I am looking for ideas
of things to put in to make life easier when working on cars. One thing I
remember is someone posting about drilling holes in the floor for some sort
of "flipup" gizmo to keep ramps from sliding, but I can't remember the
details.

I am building the workbench/parts washer from a recent Moss Motoring
magazine - anyone have any advice on what solvent to use? The parts washer
works on a water filtration principle, so the solvent must be lighter than
water, and I would prefer something non-flammable so I don't have to use an
expensive "explosion proof" pump. The author of the article used an
industrial pump, but offered that a garden fountain pump would work just as
well. He didn't make any suggestions for solvent though.

My contribution is that my Grandfather had the idea of putting in a built
in snow tire rack above the end of the short one-car bay - just an open
framework  to stand tires/wheels up in - holds about a dozen tires up out
of the way. We also had sturdy shelves built all the way around the top of
the rest of the garage over the windows - 2' x2'.

I do want a lift someday - but I think I will have to payoff the garage first!

TIA

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine
Freddy the Spit
Annette the 79 Peugeot 504D
Both tucked in their warm new home, along with the Grandparent's Windstar
and BMW