Re: Best 1500 head

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Best 1500 head
From: Scott Ruffner <jpr9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:19:31 -0500 (EST)
Hi Joe,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Joe Curry wrote:
> I suggest chatting with your local machine shop.  They can probably
> suggest the largest valve seat that will go in that particular head and
> matching valves as well.

Yes, I was figuring on doing this regardless...actually, I probably
wouldn't go with the absolute largest possible size, but would leave
myself some room to oversize at least once should I burn a seat or
something.

I was reacting to a post I saw from someone else on the list (I remember
who) that made it sound as if the '74 had a significantly different set of
valves (like the '76 had the flat top pistons).  I'm really wondering if
there's a particular year when the 1500 heads were significantly
preferable for some reason.  If not, then I'll stick with what I've got.

I am planning on CC'ing the head, milling to get the compression back up,
then CC'ing again.  I'm also planning on spending some time polishing
intakes with the dremel.  I do have a set of HS2's and an intake to match
them with the 8 port head.

I'm curious what your thoughts on are putting the effort into a 1500
engine versus the small-rod 1300?  I like low-end torque, so I think the
1500 is the way to go, but I think I'll be changing the bearing shells
every 30k or so.  This isn't the end of the world, but I wonder if my
effort wouldn't be better spent on a 1300 engine.

Scott
--
Scott Ruffner                   Computer Science Department
Systems Engineer                226E Olsson Hall