Re: Best 1500 head

To: "Scott Ruffner" <jpr9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Best 1500 head
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:50:31 -0000
Hi Scott.
I don't know about the head and valves but a 1300cc engine, particularly the
early small crank, (journal size) engines are extremely good, virtualy bomb
proof and will rev repeatedly past 4000 rpm without the need to worry that 5
seconds spent at this rpm is worth 10,000 miles at a lower rpm.
I know this as I did thousands of miles in my herald at valve bounce. When I
got it I got frightened by the start up rattle and fitted new shells to the
engine the journals were fine (experience says the shells were too). Wrong
oil  filter (without valve) caused the rattle. I proceded to run them in for
about 50yds when the throttle stuck open during
a gear change, 7000 rpm was indicated, after this I concluded they were run
in or run out and nothing I did would change this. The car did 50-60,000
miles bringing the total to 120,000 miles before the body was lain to rest,
the engine was trans-planted and I lost track of it. It was this car that
got me the nick name Valvebounce, I hope this will impress on you the
robustness of the 1300 engine.
When they are twin carbed with 1500 HS4's they have  bags of torque and
they rev too. They make very tractable everyday drivers.

Good luck making a decision.
Graham