Re: spitfires-digest V1 #411 - Best Head

To: Spitfires list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spitfires-digest V1 #411 - Best Head
From: Scott Ruffner <jpr9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:09:41 -0500 (EST)
In ressponse to Nikola and Andy:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, spitfires-digest wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, nikolai jaremka wrote:
>
> > ...the difference between the 1500 and 1300 engines are the pistons have
> > a shorter pin to deck height, and the crank has a longer stroke.  other
> > than that, they are very similar.  the early 1300 engines had the
> > smaller diameter main bearings, but the later 1300 had the larger ones
> > found in the 1500 engines.
>
> And I hate to nitpick, but I will! :-) Just so that everyone understands,
> "main" bearings usually refer to those in which the crankshaft runs. "Big
> end" or even more obviously connecting rod bearings are the bearings for
> the connecting rod (with big end often used to differentiate from the bush
> used on the piston pin end of the rod).

Oh, no, I am well aware of the distinction...and this is precisely why I
am considering the 1300.  My understaning is that the weight of the larger
big ends is largely responsible for the shorter lifespan and lower revs of
the post-1970 1300 and 1500 engines.

As far as I can tell, these engines were available in the Mark III's.
Does anybody know what the engine production numbers are for the small-end
machines?  I suppose my decision would be heavily influenced by how
easily and cheaply I could come by one of these.

Regards,

Scott
--
Scott Ruffner                   Computer Science Department
Systems Engineer                226E Olsson Hall