Re: spitfires-digest V1 #411 - Best Head

To: Scott Ruffner <jpr9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: spitfires-digest V1 #411 - Best Head
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:36:25 -0500 ()
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Scott Ruffner wrote:

> As far as I can tell, these engines were available in the Mark III's.
> Does anybody know what the engine production numbers are for the small-end
> machines?  I suppose my decision would be heavily influenced by how
> easily and cheaply I could come by one of these.

For Spitfires, look for the FD or FE prefix engines. For Herald 13/60,
albeit hard to find in the US, look for GE (and possibly FF, but good luck
locating one of those) prefix engines. These are the "smaller big-end"
(how funny does THAT look in print?) engines. Oh, and then there are those
RD engines out of the earlier 1300 FWD models, and *possibly* another
series or two.

--Andy