Re: Electric tach and Crane ignition in 72

To: Mark Campbell <spitfire@shelby.net>
Subject: Re: Electric tach and Crane ignition in 72
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:05:50 -0700

Mark Campbell wrote:

> After reviewing the wiring diagram for a Spit with electric tach in the
> Haynes manual, I have another question.  Is it necessary to tie the tach
> into the stop light switch and hazard warning switch as indicated in the
> diagram?  Or can I just run the lead from the coil and another lead to
> ground?

THere are 3 leads.  One for ground (can be direct), one to the coil (-)
terminal (Also can be direct) and the third is a hot lead which needs to
be run to a 12 v. switched source.  This is typically tapped off the
input terminal of the Voltage stabilizer (green wire).  Don't wire it
directly to the battery or it will be hot all the time!

> Also, the back of the tach has 3 connections, one obvious ground and 2 other
> connections.  The 2 other connections are "grouped together"(one round and
> one flat), which one of these is the connector for the lead from the coil?

The round (bullet) one goes to the coil, the spade one is the power
terminal.

Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer