valve stem seals

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: valve stem seals
From: "Jonathan Miles" <jem@clara.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:58:40 -0000
Hi All,

Have any of you had any experience with the valve stem seals that John
Kipping sells to be retro-fitted to control oil loss?  I've tried them
before with no luck and have now purchased a recon. unleaded cylinder head
from him that has them fitted. Trouble is they don't seem to fit properly.
They had all popped off long before I'd got the head home let alone fitted
it and started the engine. You push them on but they just slide right back
off again.  I returned the head to Kippings and they replaced it with
another which had the stem seals bonded to the guides with locktite. After
just 50 miles of driving most of these stem seals had disintegrated.  I'm
pretty hacked-off with this because it turns out that the "reconditioned
heads" that John Kipping sells so cheaply (£165) don't have new valve
guides. They rely on these crappy seals which don't fit properly.
Is it possible for me to replace the valve guides without having to
re-machine the valve seats on this new re-con head? Is it something I can do
at home or do you need a press etc?  I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Cheers,

Jonathan

'77 Spit 1500