Re: valve stem seals

To: "Jonathan Miles" <jem@clara.co.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: valve stem seals
From: spitdrvr@mail.camalott.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:01:33 GMT
John,

I had my local machine shop fit a generic large engine set of seals on my '74.
When I took the head to him for rebuild he noticed the lack of seals in the
guides and questioned it.  He said he could most likely find a set that crossed
over pretty eaisly.  I would sugest you go and ask around, if you have a spare
guide take it with you so thay can measure it.  I would call my machine shop
and ask which ones he used but I am currently in Saudi Arbia and wont be back
in time to be of any help.

Good Luck

Cheers
Nick

> Hi All,
>
> Have any of you had any experience with the valve stem seals that John
> Kipping sells to be retro-fitted to control oil loss?  I've tried them
> before with no luck and have now purchased a recon. unleaded cylinder head
> from him that has them fitted. Trouble is they don't seem to fit properly.
> They had all popped off long before I'd got the head home let alone fitted
> it and started the engine. You push them on but they just slide right back
> off again.  I returned the head to Kippings and they replaced it with
> another which had the stem seals bonded to the guides with locktite. After
> just 50 miles of driving most of these stem seals had disintegrated.  I'm
> pretty hacked-off with this because it turns out that the "reconditioned
> heads" that John Kipping sells so cheaply (£165) don't have new valve
> guides. They rely on these crappy seals which don't fit properly.
> Is it possible for me to replace the valve guides without having to
> re-machine the valve seats on this new re-con head? Is it something I can do
> at home or do you need a press etc?  I'd be grateful for any advice on this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan
>
> '77 Spit 1500

This message was sent using Camalott Endymion MailMan.
http://www.camalott.com/