Window mechanism lubrication

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Window mechanism lubrication
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:23:28 -0800
A special thanks to everyone for their tips on bead blasting.  I think I've
pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to use harder blast media
like garnet and/or invest in a larger, better compressor.  While I can only
fit smaller parts (even wheels, but that's pushing it) into my cabinet, they
demand the highest sustaining pressure that the cabinet can handle.  I think
that in my case, though, a larger, more expensive compressor doesn't pencil
out in terms of the amount of use I'll be giving it, so I'll probably just
try to refine my technique, maybe use harder media and just blast in short,
high pressure bursts.  I can attain pretty good results by "pulsing" the
trigger every other second or so.

Now, onto my next question...  I'm replacing the (very nice) red/black swirl
vinyl covered plywood door panels that the PO installed with OEM style stock
panels.  I had to take the passenger door panel off anyway recently to
remove, clean, fix and replace my door latch mechnaism.  The window rolls up
and down fairly good, but not as easy as it should be.  I tried squirting a
little WD-40 into the channels and noticed some fine surface rust beginning
to form on the inside of them.  I'll take a wire brush to those next, but I
was wondering if anyone has tips or suggested lubricants for the window
winding mechanism so I can have it working smoothly and (semi) effortlessly,
at least.  I could find no specific reference in my Bentley manual for what
to use, just that the mechanism should be "greased" before putting the panel
back on.  Is that correct?  White grease?  Graphite?  What do you guys (and
gals) recommend?

Incidentally, I'm hoping to have everything put back together and ready for
my first drive this weekend!

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3