Re: Amp Meter or Volt Meter?

To: Claes.Lagercrantz@eu.pnu.com (Claes Lagercrantz),
Subject: Re: Amp Meter or Volt Meter?
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:23:18 +0000
Hi Chaps,

I am posting this privately as I have been 'flamed' before for some of
my views on electrical matters.
This is what I have done, it is your choice - just my 2p worth.

OK so the main purpose of fitting an ammeter or voltmeter is to determine if
the generator is working, if it is putting charge into the battery or
is charge leaving the battery due to more load than the generator
can cope with or has it failed.
Generally to keep the driver informed and smiling.

My choice is an ammeter.
30 amps full scale fitted in the lead to the battery with only the starter
motor
feed bypassing it.
Then you know exactly what the charge/discharge of the battery is.
It does not matter if you upgrade to a high power alternator, the battery will
still only charge at a few amps unless it is old and scrap anyway.

If the generator fails and you have all the electrics on the discharge from
the
battery may be more than 30A but that will not damage the meter and will
attract
your attention.

In my MKIV Spit I used a Lucas meter ( now marketed under a different name
in the UK )
fitted in a hole that exists in front of the passenger ( on a RHD car).
There is some
parallax error but it works fine.

Best Regards

John Dowson